Friday, July 2, 2010

American Classics

Webster’s dictionary defines classic as: (1) serving as a standard of excellence; (2) traditional and enduring. I think it can also be said that classic is simple, neat and balanced.

Many things can be put into the category of classic. Who doesn’t love a tailored blue blazer or a movie like the Wizard of Oz? Corvettes have been considered classic American automobiles for as long as I can remember. The music of Frank Sinatra will be known by many generations to come and actors like Jimmy Stewart have staying power because of gifts like It’s A Wonderful Life. In literature, To Kill a Mockingbird is still being read in high schools today. As far as furniture, how about a beautiful mahogany desk? While I’m at it, I think even sports teams like the New York Yankees can be considered classics (sorry all you Mets fans!)

Of course, food can be classic too. One of my favorite classic things to eat involves a good beef patty (from Westwood Prime Meats), sliced raw onion, TWO slices of American cheese, a Kaiser roll and plenty of ketchup. Yep, the Cheeseburger:


Pure heaven.



BTW I think my hubby who made me that burger is an American Classic too. Something classic is historically memorable and I can’t think of a better way to describe my Michael.

No comments:

Post a Comment