Sunday, June 20, 2010

Greek Goodness


I think my husband was Greek in a past life. The guy will NEVER say no to the food. If I asked him at midnight after we just ate a six course dinner if he wanted to go get some Keftedes, I’m betting he’d say yes?!

Needless to say, we go out for Greek very frequently. Our favorite Greek restaurant is here, but this past weekend we decided to try It’s Greek To Me that just opened in The Promenade Shops at Clifton. The perfect weekend weather called for outdoor dining and The Promenade has really nice outside seating.

We are self proclaimed experts in the field of Melitzanosalata (eggplant dip). Everywhere we go it is our appetizer of choice so naturally we started with some dip and warm pita. My personal favorite is at Stamna, but It’s Greek to Me had a pretty good version with lots of chopped raw onion in it.

The entrees consisted of a grilled seafood platter with shrimp, calamari and octopus for my hubby (again better at Stamna) and a chicken souvlaki pita with a side of Greek fries for me. My only complaint is that their tzatziki needed some work. It should be cool, creamy and garlicky, not warm and bland. The Greek fries were some of the best I’ve had to date though– extra crispy with lemon and oregano. Yum.
It’s Greek to Me is a chain restaurant so in fairness it can’t compete with authentic Greek eateries. However it made us happy to sit outdoors, eat lots of fresh tasting food, sip our white wine and just chillax.

Perfect date nite with my hubby Michael...er, um, I mean Stavros.

P.S. – For super high end Greek that will blow your mind, eat at Avra or Milos in NYC.

No comments:

Post a Comment