Thursday, June 17, 2010

I Wonder if There is a La Sicilia in Heaven



Recently I lost my Uncle to cancer and it was, without a doubt, one of the saddest things I have ever experienced in my life. However, when he was here on earth he was so full of life that you couldn’t help but have fun in his presence. And talk about people who LOVED TO EAT? Holy cow - he could eat anyone under the table. He was always the last one at holiday dinners having fourths of turkey. You know how you’re usually full after seconds or thirds? Not him. Fourths. That’s how he rolled.

He loved this little pizza place in Belleville, NJ called La Sicilia. Last week, the hubs and I went to dinner there and I would be doing you all a disservice if I didn’t post about how you should drop everything and go there now. I’ve been there a few times and it just seems to get better and better.

Let me start by saying there is ZERO atmosphere and the food is not sophisticated. La Sicilia is a tiny brightly lit room with long communal tables crammed up against walls. Keep in mind this area of North Jersey is where Sopranos was filmed, so locals look kinda like they know Tony and Paulie. You never know who will be sitting next to you and sharing a dinner or what conversation will start, which totally adds to the whole experience! This one time (at band camp), when my brother and I went, we talked to this crazy dude and his girlfriend about a French card game for like 2 hours! (Random. Sorry.)

We always start off with a slice of Palermo Pie as an app. This pie is the perfect blend of fresh mozzarella UNDER a heavy dose of tomato sauce with garlic and grated cheese. Trust me, it is NOT your ordinary neighborhood pizzeria stuff. One guy on Yahoo reviews says he would take a Palermo Pie as his last meal (honest, look)!



We also order Joe’s long hots ($1 per pepper) with the pie appetizer. The long hot peppers are sauteed in olive oil and stuffed with anchovies and bread or breadcrumbs (I think). My mouth is watering and I can’t talk about them anymore. Just order them if you go!!!

My hubby ordered the Veal Cutlet Milanese over Arugula for dinner and I got the Cavatelli and Broccoli. I could go on and on about how delicious these were too, but I’m afraid I’ll bore you.





Bottom line – if you live in or around Essex County, you NEED to go to La Sicilia. I might be crazy enough to say if you live within an hour drive you NEED to go to La Sicilia.

Not sure if they are serving food in heaven...but if they are I know my uncle is on his fourth plate of La Sicilia eggplant parm right now~

No comments:

Post a Comment