Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Its in the Genes

In case I haven’t mentioned it yet, my love of food is in the genes. I blame my mom. My whole life she was such a superb cook, exceptional baker, and I guess you could say gourmand, that it would have been surprising if it didn’t rub off.

She will go very far out of her way to eat the good stuff and somehow always seems to know about quaint little bistros and hot spots in NY and NJ! She’s like a walking Zagat Guide.

So on a balmy summer afternoon when mom and I were going out to lunch she selected Anthony Davids in Hoboken. It was pleasing to find a little place that emits calm in the middle of a somewhat frantic city. As you round the corner of 10th and Bloomfield a quaint outdoor seating area greets you:



Anthony Davids is divided into two sections - a gourmet market with baked goods, prepared foods and artisanal cheeses up front and a charming dining room with white table cloths in the back. We opted to sit outside and enjoy the sidewalk tables since it was sunny.

The menu was stocked with omelets, frittatas, sandwiches and salads. Mom and I both opted for the Warm Goat Cheese Salad ($11.75) with field greens, toasted pignoli, roasted peppers, roasted tomato and a generous mound of fresh goat cheese. Also included on the plate were two pieces of grilled Hoboken bread. The entree was a perfect complete lunch.....some greens, some veggies, some protein from the cheese and some carbs from the crunchy bread. I appreciate when a restaurant offers beverages other than soda, so props to them on their refreshing homemade lemonade and iced tea. Side note - although I didn’t order them, I noticed homemade french fries on the menu in a variety of flavors like Salted, Chipotle, Gorgonzola, Spicy, or BBQ.





I sometimes measure the quality of a restaurant with a question to myself of “would I go back?” In this case the answer is a resounding yes. I can’t wait to visit Anthony Davids and Hoboken again! And next time I’m getting the fries....

No comments:

Post a Comment